The Lot we’re spellbound
The department of the Lot takes its name from the river that meanders through the department, sometimes meandering very sharply. The Lot Valley is renowned for its breathtaking scenery, with vineyards lining the banks of the Lot to the west of Cahors. The landscape is characterised by contrasting deep valleys, limestone plateaux and rolling hills. A real paradise for lovers of fine wines, walking and cycling.
Our campsite is located in the Communauté de Communes, which has been lovingly named “Vallée du Lot & du Vignoble”. Its inhabitants are particularly proud of their “vin noir”, a quality red wine, very well structured, with an intense red, almost black colour, produced in the vineyards covering the gentle slopes of the Lot Valley. There’s no escaping it, so don’t hesitate to visit one of the 500 estates or châteaux in the Cahors AOC vineyards for a tasting session. The winegrowers will give you a warm welcome.
But there’s much more to the region than wine: medieval villages, châteaux, bastides, caves and friendly markets – there’s never a dull moment. As a rural department, the Lot is (still) sheltered from mass tourism. An ideal destination for holidaymakers seeking peace and quiet, nature and the authentic atmosphere of the countryside.
Farmers’ markets !
- Friday morning: Prayssac, renowned for its regional specialities and wine. The best in the region!
- Sunday morning: Montcuq, the Sunday morning market is very popular.
- Wednesday and Saturday mornings: Cahors, weekly market.
- Wednesday night market at Château d’Aix
- Thursday night market in Loubejac
- Friday night market at Montcabrier